POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : 3.1b4 non-raytracing question : 3.1b4 non-raytracing question Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:17:55 EDT (-0400)
  3.1b4 non-raytracing question
From: Photon
Date: 22 Jul 1998 13:35:26
Message: <35B614C9.CEDD9B4A@dtmf.com>
I've been using Povray since the 2.x days, and I just grabbed 3.1b4
(first new release I've touched since 3.0[12])....   I have two
questions about this 3.1 release:

1.  There is no unix beta... does this imply there will be no unix
version period?  Or was it just that you didn't want to put out the
source code until after the beta cycle is complete? (which doesn't make
sense to me....)  Unix versions need to be beta tested too...

2.  I noticed the Windows version indicates that it is compiled with
Watcom "Pentium II Optimized".  Since all Pentium II's have MMX
instructions... does this mean it will make use of them when running ona
P2 (or P-MMX)?

I agree with other further back in this list that OpenGL and similar
"3D" technologies don't help POV (although they do help modelling
software).  However, despite all the media hype over the Multimedia
benefits of MMX, MMX probably helps povray better than almost any
application.  MMX instructions are SIMD math instrucions, allowing fast
multiple operand mathematical operations (add, sub, div, mul, and
logic).  Povray could probably see some big speedups by using MMX
instructions deep down in the renderer in a few places for math
calculations.

Going back to the "no unix version?" question.... will the 3.1 source
for the Windows version be released?  (and again.. why not in beta...
makes testing much easier when you can see the source)... I'd already
know about the MMX question.. or be able to attempt it myself... if the
source were around..

Brandon